Wednesday May 10
Fried Chicken from Around the World$90.00
Crispy, Cracklin', Finger-lickin'
Chef Instructor Bridget Charters knows the tricks to making perfectly crackling-crisp, delicious fried chicken. After the sold-out success of her first Fried Chicken from Around the World class, she is back with some new recipes for Part 2!
You can’t have a fried chicken class without classic Southern Style Fried Chicken, and Bridget will continue the discussion of the influences and variations on fried chicken across the Southern states. Then Bridget will give fried chicken an international spin with recipes she has researched from Italy, Brazil, Russia, and China.
As you watch Bridget demo, you’ll enjoy substantial tastes of each dish, and you’ll learn everything you need to know about how people all over the globe fry a chicken to perfection!
What You’ll Learn: (all recipes are demo only)
- How to break down a chicken for American style fried chicken
- Dredges for fried chicken: cracker crumbs, flour, breadcrumbs
- Types of oils and fats to use for frying
- Methodology: how to shallow fry and how to deep fry
- Southern style fried chicken with a buttermilk marinade and a discussion of variations
- Coxinha- Croquettes made from shredded chicken and cassava dough, breaded and fried- popular in Brazil
- Chicken Kiev- for this old school Russian classic (influenced by French haute cuisine), chicken fillet is rolled around cold herb butter, coated with egg and bread crumbs, and deep-fried.
- Pollo Frito alla Toscana- for this Tuscan fried chicken ( said to be influenced by the Hanukah chicken of Italian Jews), chicken is marinated with lemon juice, garlic and herbs, breaded with egg and flour, and fried in olive oil. It is served with fried artichokes and fried sage leaves.
- General Tso’s Chicken- this super popular dish was invented by a Chinese chef who fled to Taiwan and then to New York after the Chinese civil war. Chef Peng Chang-Kuei created this dish in Taiwan and brought the recipe with him when he moved to New York in the1970’s. Boneless chicken is marinated in soy and deep fried, then combined with wok-fried red chilies, ginger, and garlic and coated in sauce.
If you have a question about this class or would like to be put on a wait list, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name and date of the class with your question.