Tuesday May 9
Cooking with the Seasons$95.00
After a long, record-breaking wet winter, are you ready for spring?
For this new series, Cooking with the Seasons, our Corporate Chef, Chris Schwarz, is going to focus on the highlights of each season’s harvest, and he’ll show you how to get the most deliciousness from this bounty by using a range of different cooking methods.
Chris has many roles to play at the Tom Douglas Restaurants. One of his jobs is to find the best purveyors, foragers, farms, and fishermen in the region (some of whom sell exclusively to us) and connect them up with our chefs so we can offer our customers the best products each season brings.
In this class, Chris will use his network of connections to bring you the best of the spring season. For one example, Tom Kelley (‘TK’) owns a single fishing boat and fishes out of La Push every spring and summer, fishing only with his son and daughter. TK has developed some of the best practices in the way he catches and then treats the salmon on board the boat once he has caught the fish. We believe TK’s salmon is some of the finest we have ever sourced, and Chris will show you how to make a spectacular gravlax with miso and Walla Walla onions using this special fish.
It’s spring! Come to this class to experience the exciting foods the Pacific Northwest offers us this time of year such as wild king salmon, smelts, morels, favas, and spring lamb. As you watch Chris demo, you’ll enjoy substantial tastes of each dish, and, of course, you’ll go home with all the recipes.
What You’ll Learn: (demo only)
- Sweet pea soup with spicy radish butter and lemon pressed oil
- TK’s first of the season ‘Single Boat’ WA king salmon gravlax with miso and Walla Walla salad onions
- Crispy Camano Island smelts with marinated spring baby artichokes and toasted tomato oil
- Newaukum Valley lettuces and sugar snap peas with crème fraiche vinaigrette and brioche
- Smoked ricotta gnocchi with favas, Cascade morels, and crispy shallots
- How to make ricotta
- Coriander crusted Cattail Creek spring lamb sirloin with mascarpone dumplings and charred ramps
If you have a question about this class or would like to be put on a wait list, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name and date of the class with your question.